Re: Sound recording problems

On Friday 01 April 2005 06:02 pm, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I'm trying to record audio that comes in to my system from a radio
> connected to my Soundblaster.
>
> It seems like almost any encoding program needs a source from a program
> like rawrec, so that's what I'm working.  I'll pipe the output from rawrec
> to oggenc (part of vorbis-tools).  There's only one problem: My radio is
> plugged into the "Line In" on the Soundblaster, and I can hear it on the
> sound card output, but my output from rawrec is a file full of nulls.  The
> examples show no need to specify the device, so I tested it by specifying
> /dev/dsp and with no specified device.  I'm still getting nothing.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  Here's the command:
>
> rawrec recoutput.raw
>  OR
> rawrec --audio-device=/dev/dsp recoutput.raw
>
> I'm open to suggestions of other programs to use instead.  I want to be
> able to set up a cron job to run whatever I use, so GUI only apps are out.
>

> Thanks for any ideas on this!
>
> Hal
It's ALMOST working now.  I installed Alsamixer and ran it with the GUI (which
was easier to use than the console while using Audacity).  It has a lot more
controls on it than KMix, and I found that I had to raise the volume on the
AC97 inputs (KMIx only lists one AC97 channel, AlsamIxerGUI has two, I don't
know if that makes a difference).  I did the "quick and dirty thing" and
turned on every channel I could for recording (including capture), raised
them all up (not to the top, although I don't care about distortion while
testing), and Audacity recorded -- it had a pattern other than a straight
line!

And then it crashed!  Sometimes Audacity will crash when I first start
recording, other times it'll record for a minute or two or crash (always with
the same message:

PaHost_WatchDogProc: killing hung audio thread!
Killed

If this happens when it first starts, I notice the cursor or line showing the
position in the file is frozen at the beginning.  This may be what happened
after it was recording a while (that the line may freeze in place), but I
can't tell because I'm working with the mixer when it crashes.

I got only 3 hits from Google on this (one was source code in C, which I don't
know), so if anyone has info on this problem with Audacity and what causes
it, please let me know.

Thanks!

Hal