Re: how do I know for certain hotplug is running ?

On Friday 01 April 2005 00:55, Bob Alexander wrote:
> Justin Guerin wrote:
>   > Best way I know is check if /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug points to your
>
> hotplug
>
> > executable.
>
> Hi there Justin. Thanks for helping.
>
> In my case I know hotplug is running from the dmesg messages but what
> you say above does not match my system:
>
> bob@t40:~$ ls -l /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 2005-04-01 09:51 /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
>
> as you can see it is not a link but a "regular file"

Yeah, that's OK:
$ ls -l /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 Apr  1 08:26 /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

> or did you mean :
>
> bob@t40:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
> /sbin/udevsend

Yeah, that's what I meant.
$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
/sbin/hotplug

Whatever is in /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug is the executable called when a
hotplug event is detected.  In my case, /sbin/hotplug is run.  In
yours, /sbin/udevsend is run.

> In the latter case how do I know that udevsend is somethinng related to
> hotplug ? Look:
>
> bob@t40:~$ dpkg -S udevsend
> udev: /sbin/udevsend
> udev: /usr/share/man/man8/udevsend.8.gz
>
> Take care,
> Bob

Interesting.  I've got udevsend, too, but my /proc/..../hotplug is obviously
pointing to /sbin/hotplug.  I'm afraid I'm not familiar with udevsend, so I
don't know anything about it, but from reading the manual page, it seems
that it is supposed to receive hotplug events, order them, then call the
hotplug executable.

In any case, since your /proc file system contains a hotplug file, hotplug
is installed and running.

Hope that helps,
Justin Guerin