Re: NVIDIA kernel and X problems

> Error: API Mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module is version 7.1.0, but
this
> X module is version 1.0.7167.

This is a curious error message, because the version numbers are so far
off.  7.1.0 looks pretty different from e.g. 1.0.7167.  It makes me
wonder where that version number came from.

I got a report from someone else who had this identical problem and
error message.  Same purported version number-- 7.1.0.  In that case,
the victim had earlier used the official Nvidia installer.  I thought
maybe the odd version number had come from the official installer, so I
suggested that he carefully purge all traces of the official and Debian
driver files from his system, then reinstall the Debian drivers.  But I
don't think I heard back from him about whether that worked.

So have you been using the official installer?  From your message it
sounds as though you haven't.

> $dpkg -l nvidia-glx
> ii nvidia-glx 1.0.7167-1 NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver

How about dpkg -l nvidia-kernel-2.6.8 ?

I suppose that one possibility is that 7.1.0 is an internal nvidia
version number related to driver version 710x ; that that version number
didn't get updated to 7.1.6 in the 7167 driver release; and that somehow
the driver worked anyway at first, but something about your update made
it break.  It seems like a bit of a stretch, but it could be true.

Anyway, this sounds like something you should file a bug report about,
against nvidia-graphics-drivers.

Good luck,
Andrew.