Re: Sarge 2.6 kernel i386 install

Paul E Condon wrote:
> For a long time now, it has been easy to install multiple kernel versions
> and switch back and forth among them. Because of this, there is relatively
> little pressure to always have the latest kernel as an install option. Other
> issues can easily be given higher priority by the install software team.

No, we're not making the 2.6 kernel default on i386 because there is
probably insufficient time before the release of sarge to tell if it
will tend to work as well on all the varied and broken hardware out
there as the 2.4 kernel does. We've been able to make three other
architectures (ia64, powerpc, hppa) default to 2.6 because the set of
hardware typically used on those platforms is smaller.

> If you want 2.6, just install the default kernel and then upgrade to the
> rev level of 2.6 that strikes your fancy.

No, if you want 2.6, read the documentation and type "linux26" when
booting the installer.

--
see shy jo