Re: slow Internet transfer times (update on workaround)

Ross,

Thanks for the info and all the support.

The version I'm using is 3.0r3.

I downloaded this, and burned it on to CDs (at an Internet Café) back in
December and have been trying to get it *properly* installed and configured
since. (Using the man pages, other documentation online, and a couple of books I
bought. One reason that I posted a problem about getting the Debian Help System
up and running is in the hope that I can info there to help me with the other
problems.)

I intentionally posted each problem separately so that the subject line would
have only 1 item in it, and so that subscribers to this list could deal with
those issues they are familiar with.

As you can from my previous posting I did get my nose bent out of shape a bit. I
do that, on occasion, when people make unsubstantiated assumptions and project
their stuff all over others, especially me.

I did check out the serial port as you suggested, only to find that though it is
set to 9600 at boot time

     Hobbiton:~# car /proc/tty/driver/serial | more
     serinfo:1.0 driver:4.27
     0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:9600 tx:0 rx:0
     1: uart:16550A port:2F8 irq:3 baud:9600 tx:0 rx:0

it is reset when the first connection is established (or attempted), at which
time it changes to 115200

     Hobbiton:~# car /proc/tty/driver/serial | more
     serinfo:1.0 driver:4.27
     0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:115200 tx:0 rx:0 RTS|DTR
     1: uart:16550A port:2F8 irq:3 baud:9600 tx:0 rx:0

So this, it seems, is not the issue. I've learned that wwwoffle does a lot of
caching (WWW pages in particular), so this may be slowing things down. I don't
see how it might affect E-mail though, unless it does something I have not
learned of yet. (I've yet to check it out.)

Milton

Quoting R G Cottrell <rossc@froggy.com.au>:

> R G Cottrell wrote:
>
> > milton@cam.org wrote:
> >
> >> ... dials my ISP whenever I try to access either my E-mail or a WWW
.
.
.
> This would bring the system up to date with security and any other
> changes to the stable repository since the CDs were made.
> The downside is that, because you seem to have installed a lot of
> stuff it'll take a while.  If you decide to use Sarge and all you have
> is dialup like me, it might take days, but since you're using Woody
> it probably isn't that bad.  Even so, if you have a friend with
> broadband it might be quicker and easier to take the box to their
> place and connect it to their home lan to do the apt-get upgrade.
> (And then compensate them for the use of their bandwidth and
> hospitality, of course. :-)
>

> Regards, Rossc.
.
.