Re: hotplug, udev and usbkey question

Tony Godshall <togo@of.net> writes:

>> Actually, the actual location is specified in /etc/udev/udev.conf.  By
>> default, the debian (and upstream, I think) points to
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/, where any file with .rules are read in in sorted
>> order.
>
> Damn that Linux Journal!

Probably old article.  udev is being actively developed. It started out
as udev.rules, but got changed because the distributors wanted more
flexibility.  Right now I would probably recommend people don't change
udev.rules.  Instead, just create other .rules file for customization.
For instance, I have a 50usbkey.rules in my /etc/udev/rules.d
directory.  The number is so that my rules get read before the
distributor's rule.

--
John L. Fjellstad