Re: wireless PCI card

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Jason Rennie wrote:

> Really?  I'm skeptical.  I don't think it's fully recognized yet.  Why
> would iwconfig report "NOT READY!"?

"not ready" is NOT the same as "no scan results" or "operation not
permitted"

> jrennie@syrah:~$ iwlist scanning
> lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

gpod

> eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

good

> eth1      No scan results

says your wireless card does not have a ip#  et.al.

> > #iwconfig eth1 essid [network essid] channel [channel]
> > ap [access point]
>
> jrennie@syrah:~$ iwconfig eth1 essid RENNIE channel 6 ap any
> Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
>     SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not permitted.

try setting the parameters one "param value" pari at
a time ... sleep 1 in between

iwconfig eth1 essid foo
iwconfig eth1 channel 6
iwconfig eth1 ap mac:addy:of:the:ap

and sometimes, the order of the parameters does make
a difference and the value for each parameter also
does matter, as some options are not supported by
the pci card or drivers

c ya
alvin