Re: [Fwd: KI-2.6.8-2-686 Upgrage And Modem Issuse]-Problem Solved-Partially-then finally

Wayne Topa wrote:

Leonard Chatagnier(lenc@ruralcomm.com) is reported to have said:
Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Subject:
KI-2.6.8-2-686 Upgrage And Modem Issuse

*Resident PPP support modules are properly uncompressed .
----active COMM services are ------------
sl0 Link encap:Serial Line IP tunl0 Link encap:IPIP Tunnel HWaddr _*This COMM mode should be closed before using the modem,* or DNS services may fail._ Be sure to read the section about ppp related modules and aliases in Modem/General.txt
DEVPPP=crw-rw---- 1 root dip 108, 0 Mar 4 21:58 /dev/ppp*

The tun10 and s10 entries shows up doing ipconfig but didn't before installing sarge. Would like to stop or kill it to see if it fixes modem but don't know how to stop it. My ifconfig output under woody is:
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ifconfig
[--snip--]
sl0       Link encap:Serial Line IP
        inet addr:192.168.0.1  P-t-P:192.168.0.2  Mask:255.255.255.255
        UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
        RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:248 (248.0 b)

tunl0     Link encap:IPIP Tunnel  HWaddr
        inet addr:192.168.1.1  Mask:255.255.255.0
        UP RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
        collisions:43 txqueuelen:0
        RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

I would suggest editing /etc/network/interfaces and commenting out the
above, unless you do need tunneling while your troubleshooting your
problem.  If you didn't have them enabled before, you shouldn't need
them anyway.  I have never used "Serial Line IP" or "IP Tunnel"
so ???

I know nothing about the ScanModem, so can't help there.  As far as
dialing in to your ISP, I use phpconfig.  In it you can enable
debuging and it could help with troubleshooting.

Is this new kernel an image or did you compile from source (Kernel
.org or Debian)?
Did you have a firewall setup with your 2.4 kernel?  The 2.6 kernels
use a different setup (iptables) then the 2.4 kernels did.  Make sure
your firewall is disabled to test if that might be the problem.

One more thought, did you install the module-init-tools package?  It
replaces the "modutils" package that was used in 2.4 kernels.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
Wayne

Wayne, thank you for the clue on network/interfaces.  When I read your
message, I commented
out the two tunneling commands as shown below and booted sarge:

lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
#auto tunl0               #####Commented out
#iface tunl0 inet static         #####Commented out
       address 192.168.1.1
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       network 192.168.1.0
       broadcast 192.168.1.255
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$

After rebooting, wvdialed and apt-get update on console and the download
started immediately.  I didn't see anything about sl0 in the file, but
it works now.  I vaguely remember, during a debconf process for
networking while installing the sarge kernel image, accepting the
default IP address numbers.  A mistake, as I have no network except for
a dial-up modem.  This is one of the big bug-a-boos for me with
Debian-never enough info for the newbie to make an intelegent choice.
However, when I went to KDE and
started the Mozilla browser, I still get the URL not found message
indicating I still have some DNS issues.
Also, this message could not be sent via my SMPT account-send mail
error-unable to connect to SMPT servr.  I would appreciate any more
suggestions on this.
For the Debian users, especially newbies, still having modem issues with
kernel upgrades from woody, I suggest going to linmodems.technion.ac.il
and download and use scanModem.  ScanModem has been greatly improved and
pointed to my key problem.  There seems to be a lot of modem issuse when
upgrading
to new kernels especially above 2.6.8.  Wayne, thanks for the progress
so far.
Leonard Chatagnier

PS-Finally, after a lot of viewing config files, making some change and still no success, I uninstalled sl0 via apt-get remove and my browser and email client now works under KDE. Everyone note, scanModem told me what the problem was and should be of help to all newbies like me.
Thanks for everybody's response and imput.  I needed it alll.

Leonard Chatagnier