Re: repartitioning

Matt Price wrote:
Alvin Oga wrote:
you will have to reboot .. or write the code so that one doesnt have
to reboot when moving partition boundries around :-)

ok, well, I'm not gonna do that until after I learn C I guess.. but seriously, is this something that other 'nixes can do? Must this bea fundamental barrier?

I suppose, theoretically, a program could merge two neighboring partitions by rewriting the filesystem of the first partition to include all of the files in the second partition, and then rewriting the partition table to make them one larger partition. But as far as I know, no such tool exists. And frankly, unless it was just an experiment, I think one would have to be crazy to try it without a backup.

I don't have much experience with LVM, but isn't this the sort of thing that LVM was designed for?