Re: Can't Create Child Process - No Usable X11

Kenneth Jacker <khj@be.cs.appstate.edu> writes:

> You're suggesting something I've been suspecting all along ...
>
>   john> What does /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules points to?
>
>         /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules -> ../udev.rules
>
>   john> The format of the rules files got changed when the permissions
>   john> files got removed.
>
> *New info*:
>
> My almost identical *home* system (this thread refers to my office
> machine) "suddenly" is showing similar behavior.  One of the first
> things I noticed on my office machine was a changing of /dev/null's
> permissions to 660.  Reviewing logs at *home* yesterday, I saw error
> messages indicating the same change.
>
> Something is "fishy" here!  How to recover?

One is to check out Eric's advice, to see if that fixes it.  Also check
your /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules and make sure it's the name format.

For instance, my udev rules for some of the misc devices look like this:
KERNEL="random",        MODE="0666"
KERNEL="urandom",       MODE="0444"
KERNEL="mem",           MODE="0640", GROUP="kmem"
KERNEL="kmem",          MODE="0640", GROUP="kmem"
KERNEL="port",          MODE="0640", GROUP="kmem"
KERNEL="full",          MODE="0666"
KERNEL="null",          MODE="0666"
KERNEL="zero",          MODE="0666"
KERNEL="inotify",       MODE="0666"
KERNEL="sgi_fetchop",   MODE="0666"
KERNEL="sonypi",        MODE="0666"
KERNEL="agpgart",       GROUP="video"
KERNEL="nvram",         GROUP="nvram"
KERNEL="rtc",           MODE="0664", GROUP="audio"
KERNEL="hw_random",     NAME="hwrng"

Note that MODE and the GROUP settings.  Those didn't exist before
because of the permissions were separated in another file.

My problem had been that I had written a custom udev.rules file, and
didn't notice the update to the format of the file.  If you are using
the default rules file, which it looks like you did, then I would
probably suspect Eric's solution to be the correct one.

--
John L. Fjellstad