Re: cifs mounting by non-root user

On (09/03/05 10:03), Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:10:40AM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> >//server/share /smb/share   cifs
> >credentials=/home/user/.smb_pass,uid=user,gid=group,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770    0	0
>
> But this only works for one user. If you have ten users you would need
> ten lines.
Does this mean on each client machine or where users are sharing one
machine (thin client model)?

> You can use smbmount as normal user to mount your own shares to your
> directories, but there is no cifsmount.
> If you use libpam-mount, you can add cifs shares to the global config
> file, but not in the user config file, only smb shares.
Getting samba to play well is proving difficult - I've seen a number of
posts where people are having problems.  The windows and Mac clients
work fine although users' home directories have to be specifically
shared for Mac users.

But getting linux clients sorted is a rather more knotty issue.  I've
got the 'Using Samba' book and I shall plough on.  But meanwhile, it
would be good to access some sort of Howto that defines the best way to
set up Linux clients.

A further complication is that Kwrite (running within KDE) can, on
occasions fail to write to an existing file and leave it as 0Bytes.
However, editing files in Gvim presents no such problem.  I am beginning
to think I should move to a lighter, cleaner X environment.

The final issue is on some machines, that exhibit the 'write' issue
above, at the console I see : CIFS VFS No resource buffer (that may not
be the exact error- from memory) Googling on the error produced no
satisfactory answers.

Thanks

Clive

--