Re: EXT2 or EXT3 : What have I got?

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 10:16 +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Wednesday, 09.03.2005 at 10:03 +0000, jim biri wrote:
>
> > Hi, How can I find out what file type my partitions have been setup as
> > - i.e. either ext2 or ext3?
> >
> > If I use cfisk - I can see the file type number - 83 for Linux - but I
> > can't see anything explicitly stating ext2 or ext3.
>

> > Sorry for the dumb question.
>
> Type 'mount' - this will show all your mounted partitions: their
> physical disk partition, their mount point and their filesystem type.
>
> The information is also held in /etc/fstab ...

That won't tell you about unmounted partitions, though.

mount-ing the partition without explicitly saying what type it is
will make mount guess.  For example:

  # mount -v /dev/hda1 /media/fat
  mount: you didn't specify a filesystem type for /dev/hda1
         I will try type vfat
  /dev/hda1 on /media/fat type vfat (rw)

This will fail with ext2 and ext3, though, since they both have
the same internal structure.  So, when you tell mount to guess,
it will choose the lowest common denominator (ext2), even if
tune2fs has been run on it to add the journal file that will allow
the ext3 driver to the partition.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with
the law."
David Dinkins