Re: Auto-notify remote user of IP address change?

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:59:33 +1000, David Powell
<moondrake@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry if this has been asked and answered.
>
> I'm installing a DB server into a clients office, and I want to be able
> to set up remote ssh access to the box from home.
>
> The glitch is that the client's ADSL internet access has a dynamic IP
> address.  I wondered if anyone knew of any good ways that I can get the
> debian box (which will be the DB server - and the only one I've access
> to) to check what IP address the office gets, and automatically e-mail
> me (or something) when it changes?
>
> The full setup for the office is:
>
>           Internet
>          Modem/Router
>              / \
>             /   \
>            /     \
>        Debian  Windows
>        Server  desktops
>
> My setup at home is similar (though I've got linux desktops) and I I've
> tried to get the IP address that the modem is assigned, but the only way
> I've been able to is by visiting internet sites (like shields up) that
> report that info back.
>
> Any clues greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> --
> David Powell
> Information Systems Developer
> Moondrake Trust
> e: moondrake at optusnet dot com dot au

 I've made cronjob wich more or less does this, but it requieres you
have SSH access to your home PC. But anyway, here it is:
Put this line in to your .bashrc file:
      'alias myip="/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet add' | awk '{print
$2}' |cut -d ''  -f 12 |cut -d: -f2" '

Set up a cronjob maybe like this:

 * * * * * * date>>myip.text; myip>>myip.text; scp myip.text your.name@host:

Cheers, Vegard