Re: adding latex packages

On Friday 04 March 2005 18:20, Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:

> I would like to use more LaTeX packages downloaded from CTAN which are
> not available as debian packages. What is the correct way to install
> them on debian? For example I have seen some packages installed in

I can't say what THE correct way is, but I can tell you what works for
me.  I have the following lines in my ~/.bashrc file:

# see http://www.ctan.org/installationadvice/
export BSTINPUTS="${HOME}/.local/texmf//:$BSTINPUTS"
export TEXINPUTS="${HOME}/.local/texmf//:$TEXINPUTS"

Then I follow the conventions for the subdirectories there:

/home/adam $ tree .local/texmf/tex/latex/
..local/texmf/tex/latex/
|-- covington
|   |-- covington.sty
|   `-- covington.tex
|-- gb4e
|   |-- cgloss4e.sty
|   |-- gb4e-doc.tex
|   `-- gb4e.sty
|-- harvard
|   `-- harvard.sty
`-- qtree
    `-- qtree.sty

This way my customizations are in my home directory rather than mixed in
with the stuff that comes from the Debian packages, and they are easy
to back up as well as to copy to another machine.

I also use this on a machine at work on which I do not have root access
and which has some out-of-date LaTeX packages.  The order of my
BSTINPUTS and TEXINPUTS paths means that LaTeX will find my custom file
rather than one in /usr/share/texmf/... with the same name.