Re: [survey] mutt - default settings on Debian

On Mar 04 2005, Eduard Bloch wrote:
 - display of the date - by (current) default, the Date: field is not
   displayed together with the message text. The only way to see the
   date is to leave the pager and look at the index line, and there is
   still only the short string (Jun 12), no year, no exact time.
   Suggested change:
   remove "ignore date" setting and make the date visible everywhere

Indeed, I would not be able to enjoy mutt the way I do if I used only the
defaults. I show not only the date but also the mailer that people use,
just to see where they are coming from.

This is a long way to say that "yes, displaying the date header is a
welcome addition".

 - colors: the current color map is acceptable but sucks WRT clear
   visible contrasts: green on blue is not good readable, black on blue
   is also bad.
   Suggested changes (attached):
   more White-on-Blue
   red index marker
   dark-green unimportant header lines
   bright-yellow Subject: and Date: fields

The colors are highly subjective. As long as I have a dark background and
white text, I am happy.

Using dark-green for unimportant header lines seems a sane default to me, which important ones (including the From:, which you didn't mention) should
be in a color that has more contrast with the background (bright-yellow
seems fine, which is what I do).

 - current settings hide the index view when the message is beeing
   displayed in the pager. I think it makes sense to keep the overview
   of the next few messages while the current message is displayed.
   Suggested change:
   set pager_index_lines=5

I have fallen in love with this feature and I set it a long time ago to 6.
Now that I am using a monitor with a higher resolution, I set it to 8,
which means that it is an welcome addition.

I have also customized my muttrc file to have some keybindings similar to those of Pine, to ease the transition of some friends to mutt (well, I am
always doing this brain-washing thing wherever I go). :-)

Hope this helps, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php