Re: How do you debug samba logons?

Alan Chandler wrote:
I am running a debian (sarge) server running samba.  Security mode is "share".

I have just created a new share (covering /var/www)

and I have a /etc/fstab on my client machine with two entries

//roo/fileshare /home/alan/roo/fileshare smbfs auto,credentials=/etc/smbfs/alan,uid=alan,gid=alan 0 0 //roo/www /home/alan/roo/web smbfs auto,credentials=/etc/smbfs/alan,uid=alan,gid=alan 0 0

fileshare mounts ok, www doesn't

What I need to know, is how do I debug this. I can't see any material differences between the shares, and I can't understand what seems to be going into the log.

Try removing the "auto" from that fstab entry, then run "mount //roo/www". Maybe that will tell you what is going on.