Re: help: data rescue from a screwed up hd partition

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:11:04 -0500, Bernd Prager wrote:

> I'm perfectly willing to replace the harddisc but I have some recent
> data on there, that I would like to recover.
>
> I tried to read some data with the dd command and the first couple of
> blocks work ok but later it complains:

Sadly, the whole Unix/Linux world seems to live in a perfect world. I've
long hope to find a tool that could salvage as much as possible data from
a broken media, be it a failing HD, or an old CD. Last time, I tried, none
of dd, cp, tar, rsync, cpio have the ability to ignore error and move on
-- that's all the tools that I know, which means to me the whole
Unix/Linux refuse to live in real world, in which bad media do occur.

I really hope someone can prove me wrong, and I'd be much love to accept
it...