Re: udev boot delay

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:20:37 +0000, Samuel Liddicott <sam@liddicott.com> wrote:
> Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > On Mar 04, Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm not sure if this is a udev issue or a Debian issue.
> >
> > Debian-specific.
> >
> >>     append="console=/dev/tty6"
> >
> > This is broken, indeed.

My server does not yet use udev, but it is using
"console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8"

> > I accept patches for a better test.
>
> I don't have a patch but wby not check the system runlevel as well or
> instead?

I am not at home so I can't check the contents of these environment variables.
Especially for console as I have two of them in my cmdline for the
kernel, my guess is it will contain only the first.

man init says:
ENVIRONMENT
       RUNLEVEL
              The current system runlevel.
       CONSOLE
              The  system  console.  This is really inherited from the kernel;
              however if it is not set init will set  it  to  /dev/console  by
              default.

Hopefully minit and other init systems set them as well.

 -Olaf