Re: help needed with broken dependencies

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:47:07 +0200 (IST), Dani Arbel
<darbel@techunix.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> Michael,
> Thanks for trying to help. Here is the info requested.
> kdelibs4:
>    Installed: 4:3.2.3-2
>    Candidate: 4:3.3.2-1
>    Version Table:
>       4:3.3.2-1 0
>          500 ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl testing/main Packages
>   *** 4:3.2.3-2 0
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

OK, this is good -- it at least knows that it should be able to
install 4:3.3.2-1.

> Also, how do I use dselect to fix the problem?

Someone else would have to answer that -- I've only used dselect when
absolutely necessary, and then I tend to flail around a bit.

> How do I force upgrading the kdelibs4?

Forcing probably isn't a good idea unless all other options are exhausted.

> If I try to install kdelibs-bin with apt-get it fails because of the
> broken dependencies

Is this essentially the same error message as you originally posted?
If it's reasonably short, please post it.  You *might* be able to
apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs4

It's possible that something is preventing kdelibs4 from upgrading.  You can try
apt-get install kdelibs4=4:3.3.2-1
and see what dependency conflicts arise from that.  If apt is just
confused, that might (though probably won't) fix everything.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh