Re: UML

On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 7:10 pm, BJ Dierkes wrote:
> I haven't used UML in quite a long time.  The over head (RAM/CPU) was
> ridiculous for the old hardware I was trying to run it on.  I came
> across linux-vserver a little while ago, and must say... for running
> virtual servers, it is perfect.  Way, way better than the results I had
> from UML... stability, functionality, control, resource overhead.
> Needless to say, I think you should check out linux-vserver.

I haven't found any problems with UML as of now. I'm running it on my
notebook. (Intel Pentium M 1.5Ghz, 768mb of RAM).
I'll try linux-vserver soon.

> As for your question, I had a similar need to share files from the
> 'host' machine to the 'virtual' machine.  It depends on how you want to
> do it, but for me... I just run a Samba server on the 'host' and connect
> to it from the virtual machine.  You may also be able to run an NFS
> server as well (but that didn't work out for me).

I just got it done..
Yes, you can use the network layer but that creates and additional overhead.
I used hostfs which cleanly helps my requirements.

> I believe you could also mount the UML filesystem (fs image) from the
> 'host' box, as a loopback device:
>
> # mount -o loop rootfs mnt/new.rootfs
>
> and then copy the necessary files into that from there.

My requirement was just opposite. I wanted to mount host box's files from
within UML. hostfs helped me in achieving that.

> Again, linux-vserver ( linux-vserver.org ) is well worth a look.  I
> currently run a host Debian system, and 3-4 virtual systems ontop (2 apache
> servers w/mysql, 1 postfix server w/amavisd-new,clamav,spamassassin, etc...
> etc) and everything runs smooth, and very stable. You don't have to deal
> with loopback fs images, memory/cpu overhead, etc...

I'll give it a try soon.

Thanks for your reply.

rrs
- --