Sound and TV card problems

System is i386, running Debian Sarge 2.6.8.  Sound comes from onboard
AC97 Realtek chip, but there is also a Hauppauge TV card.

On boot, and start up KDE (or Gnome, doesn't matter) I get a "dev/dsp
not found" error.  If I run alsaconf, and restart KDE, it goes away
and sound works fine.

However, if I run alsaconf and then try to start tvtime I get a "no
signal" error.  If I run the command in a console, I get "cannot open
capture device /dev/video0".  If I don't run alsaconf, tvtime runs fine.

Previously (thanks Andreas!) I learned that I could put entries into
/etc/modprobe.d/sound to sort out which of the two devices was default
and therefore not need to run alsaconf.  This seems to have stopped
working now - ie I put the entries in, but (a) they are ineffective,
and (b) if I look in the "sound" file after reboot, they disappear.

I'm starting to get frustrated now.  Any ideas?

Thanks
Phil