strange behavior in grip, joydev, ns558 modules

Hi,

I'm trying to get my gamepad (gravis gamepad pro) working just the way i
would like it to.
The functionality is there but the problem is somewhat irritating.
Googling for the solution on how to have it work I found out that I need
~ the modules ns558, joydev and grip loaded to have it work, I also
apt-got joystick for testing the devices.

I've got hotplug installed which originally wants to load analog when it
sees the device on my gameport so to prevent it from doing that i
included it in the blacklist.
Then i created a file gameport in /etc/modprobe.d containing the line

install grip    /sbin/modprobe joydev && /sbin/modprobe ns558 &&
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install grip

so far, so good.
Now when I run modprobe -v grip I get

install /sbin/modprobe joydev && /sbin/modprobe ns558 && /sbin/modprobe
- --ignore-install grip
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-1-686/kernel/drivers/input/joydev.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-1-686/kernel/drivers/input/gameport/ns558.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-1-686/kernel/drivers/input/joystick/grip.ko

which is just what I wanted, but both jstest /dev/js0 and jstest
/dev/input/js0 return:

jstest: No such device

Okay, here one would suspect that I have to use different modules, but
here's the strange part:
If I unload grip and the other needed modules modprobe -rv grip ns558
joydev and then load them again like before with modprobe -v grip, I get
the exact same output but this time jstest /dev/js0 shows:

Joystick (Gravis GamePad Pro) has 2 axes and 10 buttons. Driver version
is 2.1.0.
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
[output follows]

And everything is working just fine.

If I jstest /dev/js0 when analog and joydev are loaded it also works but
~ I don't get all the buttons and besides, why use a generic driver when
there's one for my hardware available.

Could somebody please explain to me this behavior which seems absolutely
irrational? Could it be that this is a kernel-related bug and if so,
where/whom do I report it to?

sarge with kernel 2.6.8-1-686

Thanks in advance.