Re: bash, grep, and regular expressions

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 03:58:42AM -0800, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> I appreciate your input but neither one of the expressions filter
> anything on my machines.  They both return sets that include

Then you're obviously having problems with your pipes and/or shell
quoting. This works fine with 2.05b. If I were you, I'd use "set -x -v"
to see what's going on, as well as finding out if you have any weird
shopt options set.

You might also want to look at your aliases, and find out if you've done
something weird there. You can also run bash with the --norc and
--noprofile flags, to ensure that you're starting with a clean slate.
You might even want to try using a different account that hasn't been
futzed with, to see if you still have problems.

Since it works for everyone *but* you, the problem is neither regular
expressions nor bash, per se. It's something to do with your
configuration. So approach it as a debugging exercise, and investigate
accordingly.

--
Find my Techno-Geek Journal at http://www.codegnome.org/geeklog/