disks above 137gb on woody

Hi group,

I just assembled a computer to be used as a server, and the woody install cd doesn't seem to have a kernel new enough to deal properly with a 250 GB hard drive, it reports it as 137 gb. Seems that support for that came in 2.4.19, but the "bf24" option doesn't help any. Is there any way to get Woody to work without going through a lot of pain? I wanted to go with the stable distribution, because I don't want to have to mess around with this machine to get it to work ... but it seems that's exactly where I'm going to be if I use Woody.

I guess I have two questions. First, this thing has two 250GB hard drives (parallel ATA), brand new. Is there a way to boot and partition them and install Woody? A way that doesn't involve standing on my head?

Second question: even if I manage to do that, is Woody just going to be a pain in general, because my hardware is too new? I've got an ASUS p5p800 motherboard, which carries a pentium4 HT on socket 775. So the hyperthreading is my other potential issue. Will the older SMP kernels deal with it well enough? (One physical CPU in HT mode.) I don't really mind (much) using the older versions of the packages, but I do want my hardware to work right.

I'm beginning to think I should just go with Sarge, and cross my fingers that it will run stable. This is a server that will mainly be for backups, but pretty soon now I also need to revamp our real web server, and I want to use the same distro on both machines.

Any thoughts?

-Andy