RE: External thermometers

The weatherduck (www.weatherduck.us) is very cool. But if you're
budget conscious, there are several solutions based on Dallas
Semiconductors OneWire(R) bus:
www.ibutton.com/ibuttons/thermochron.html.

Here are some other resellers:
www.ibuttonlink.com
www.aagelectronica.com/aag/index.html
www.pucebaboon.com

And some (possibly out of date) linux software:
http://www.digitemp.com/
http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/digitemp.html

Disclaimer: YMMV. I have only researched these.  I've never actually seen
or used anything listed above. :-)