Re: a dpkg question

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 08:27 +1100, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:00:24 +0100, Rich Rudnick wrote:
>
> > With aptitude, `l~c<enter> <shift-underscore> g [stop and read] g`
> > will purge them all.
>
> For the benefit of at least one of the Great Unwashed, would you be
> good enough to expand this a bit.  I am trying to get the hang of the
> features offered by aptitude.
>
> I note the options:
> "l" narrows the search,
> "g" installs/removes packages and
> "_ (underscore)" <purges?|marks for purging?> .

`l` limits the display of packages. Only packages that match the search
criteria will appear in the Aptitude's upper pane.

'~c' is an aptitude provided match which catches packages removed but
with the configuration files left in place (for example, packages
uninstalled with apt-get remove).

So, after completing the part `l~c<enter>` you have a display showing
only the uninstalled packages that have configuration files remaining on
your hard disk.

Now, when you press `<shift-underscore>` while the section header (Not
Installed Packages) is highlighted, all the packages in that section
will be marked for purging.

Next, Press `g` once, and aptitude shows what it will do with any
packages you have marked. This is the where you stop and read :) Make
any changes you want, and once you are satisfied, press `g` a second
time. Aptitude will then perform the actions you have requested, in this
case purging configurations. If you're not satisfied, press `<escape>`.

Something I use this regularly for is to see what gnome stuff is
available from experimental: `l~Aexper~sgnome`, which, in english, means
"limit display to packages available from experimental that are in the
section gnome."

Another I use often is `l~b`, to see only what's broken ;(

If you have aptitude-doc-en installed,

file:///usr/share/doc/aptitude/html/en/ch02s03.html

will explain the search criteria syntax.