Re: Redundant mail server

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

On 13 Feb, 2005, at 22:43, Glenn English wrote:

then switch it back when the US office mail server is back up.

Define "rapidly". You could set up a cron job to check the local server
every 60 seconds -- and if it isn't up, rsync the relevant email files
to the remote server, change the MX record(s) with sed, and reload the
DNS server. And vice versa.

I agree, but unfortunately I forgot to mention in my original email that the assumption here is that the US office has no internet connectivity whatsoever.

fortunately, you need not worry about this, as that's what MX tags and smtproutes/relaying is for.

--
Programmers love Unix and C because they are powerful, and they are powerful because programmers love them.