Re: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning!

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 12:33:51PM -0800, James Vahn wrote:
> Pigeon wrote:
> > James Vahn wrote:
> > > I'm using a vanilla kernel-2.6.10 and have CDR_DEVICE=ATAPI:0,0,0 defined
> > > in /etc/default/cdrecord. The K3B icon has been modified to use "sudo k3b"
> > > under the icon properties>application>command.
> >
> > I thought this was only the case with kernels from 2.6.[78] on? I've
> > deliberately stayed with 2.6.6 in order to avoid it. I'll give it a
> > shot next time I have a CD to burn, but AFAICT it's a solution to a
> > different problem.
>
> Could be, but the problem to me sounds like the early 2.6 kernels.
> Upgrade to .10, drop the use of ide-scsi, and drop the suid bit.
> Try sudo and the ATAPI: device instead. It worked a treat for me,
> the lockups and bad burns of 2.6.x are no longer a problem.

OK, it's certainly worth a shot... though I notice that Sigve
Indregard, in the thread "CD recording", is having the same kind of
problems as me, with an identical CD writer to mine, and 2.6.8. My
suspicion is it's something funny about that model of drive
(CyberDrive CW088D). Standardisation doesn't seem to be all it could
be where CD writers are concerned.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons