tft monitor & xfree86

hi folks,

just bought a brand-new tft monitor (sharp ll-191a).  It's pretty, but
the display is just a little bit fuzzy.  I read that this is usually a
problem with the sync rates, so I was careful to set the HorizSync and
VertRefresh rates to within limits indicated by the manual (ok, it's
not totally clear from the manualy, but I think Hsync 64-80, vsync
60-75 works fine).  I did this using dpkg -plow xserver-xfree86 (on
sid/ppc, with xserver-xfree86 4.3.0-7 installed).

This didn't seem to help[, so I poked around in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4,
and found that the changes I'd made hadn't been saved there!  So I ran
xpkg-reconfigure again, and the default values that came upwere the
one I'd entered previously.  Which leaves mee with a couple of
questions:

1) how can I tell which config file is being used to run my xsession?

2) if dpkg-reconfigure isn't saving my changes to
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4, where are the changes being saved?

3) In general, has anyone tried this monitor and made it work well?

Thanks much for your help!

Matt

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User