Re: Floppydrive won't work

Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
When I try 'mount /dev/fd0'  I get this message

vegard@hjem:~$ mount /dev/fd0
/dev/fd0: Not valid argument                  <-translated from norwegian,
actual phrase: 'Ugyldig argument'
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

This is the line from /etc/fstab

/dev/fd0        /media/floppy   auto    rw,noauto,user,sync     0 0

wich i copyed from the example of using fstab found in tuxfiles.org. I do
not know excactly wich device it is (/dev/fd???). Does anybody see what is
wrong?

I asked about a similar situation on a Sarge install some time ago. Good, specific responses. It turns out that the mount command checks a file: '/etc/filesystems' (if it exists). Sarge apparently doesn't create it. That's why mount is asking you to specify a filesystem. I created the file with these entries:
vfat
msdos
ext3
ext2

The entry for the floppy in my /etc/fstab looks like this (slight difference).

/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,users,noauto  0       0

Jim