Re: Font question

Hello

Rob Brenart (TT) (<Rob.Brenart@tradingtechnologies.com>) wrote:

> Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but without a beginner's list
> I'm feeling like this is the right place.
>
> I'm running Debian unstable and I want to add some fonts, specifically
> I'd like to find a package of precollected typical TrueType fonts like
> Times New Roman and the such.
>
> Every HOW-TO I run into on the topic either addresses Fedora, or was
> written in or before 2000.
>
> Can anyone point me towards either an apt-get installable package, or
> a current set of instructions for how this works?

In Sarge or Sid, you could use defoma to register the fonts, and
x-ttcidfont-conf to use the fonts with X. This is not the most simple
way to do it, but the fonts will be known to all applications that use
defoma, including X (with x-ttcidfont-conf), fontconfig and
ghostscript. Here is a short explanation on what you can do:

1. copy the fonts to some dir, e.g. /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype
2. apt-get install x-ttcidfont-conf libft-per
3. run defoma-hints to create a config file for defoma with the font
information:

defoma-hints -c --no-question truetype \
/usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/* \
> /etc/defoma/hints/localfonts.hints

4. register the fonts to defoma:
defoma-font register-all /etc/defoma/hints/localfonts.hints
5. run defoma-reconfigure
6. add the following line to the Files section of your
etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

FontPath  "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"

I think there is also some program that allows you to register fonts
with defoma via drag&drop, but I can't remember the name. Another
simpler way is to register the fonts to X only. Copy them somewhere,
and run the mkfontdir and mkfontscale programs in that dir. Add the
directory to your XF86Config-4 and restart X.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976