"Package is in a very bad inconsistent state" and j2sdk1.4

I am helping a guy by email who has a freshly installed Sarge system. He is totally new to Debian and he was helped by a friend during his first install.

His friend is away and I am now helping this guy in solving this problem that he is having while installing (and now while removing) j2sdk1.4. If he tries to remove this package, he gets:
#--------------------------------------------------------------
Do you what to continue? [Y/n] y
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: error processing j2sdk1.4 {--remove):
  package is in a very bad inconsistant state - you
should reinstall it before atempting a removal
  j2sdk1.4
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code
{1)
Root$
#--------------------------------------------------------------

He gets this when he tried "dpkg --purge j2sdk1.4", "apt-get dist-upgrade" or "apt-get "--purge remove j2sdk1.4".

I have suggested him to try:
1) #> dpkg --purge --force-remove-reinstreq j2sdk1.4

2) the following procedure if 1) above does not work.
a. dpkg --listfiles <package name>
Find every file that was installed, then do a search and destroy.

b. Edit the file /var/lib/dpkg/status
Remove the section for your badly broken package

c. Edit the file /var/lib/dpkg/available
Remove the section for your badly broken package

Just wanted to know if somebody has seen this before or if somebody has other suggestions.

->HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.