Re: Lost MIDI after upgrade to sarge

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 05:00, Roy Pluschke wrote:
> On January 25, 2005 14:03, John van Spaandonk wrote:

> > > sfxload chaos-12MB.sf2
> > > No AWE synth device is found
> > >
> > > Do I need to compile it into the kernel? Doesn't this come with all of
> > > the emu10k1 (snd_emu10k1, etc.)?
> >
> > I have the exact same error you had.
> > You probably know that with many cards you have to load the sound font
> > into the sound card, in my case a Create live player.
> >
> > I created a script /etc/init.d/asfxload that looks like this:
> > #! /bin/sh
> > if [ -x /usr/bin/asfxload ]
> > then
> >   echo "Loading sound font 8MBGMSFX.SF2"
> >   /usr/bin/asfxload /etc/init.d/8MBGMSFX.SF2 &
> > fi
> >
> > (I know it's ugly to stick the sound core file in the init.d
> > directory...)
> >
> > The script is linked from /etc/rc5.d like this:
> >
> > /etc/rc5.d/S98asfxload -> ../init.d/asfxload
> >
> > This causes it to run just before kdm, my display manager.
> >
> > However, the sound card is not recognised properly.
> > I get the following message in virtual console 1 (this contains the boot
> > messages):
> >
> > No Emux synth hwdep device is found
> >
> > I am anxious to know the solution to this problem...
>
> I had to add the following line to my /etc/modules file:
>
> snd-emu10k1-synth
>
> Then I was able to use the hardware synth (after the sfxload). The results
> of lsmod shows the following sound modules loaded as a result.
>
> snd-emu10k1-synth
> snd-emux-synth
> snd-emu10k1
> snd-pcm-oss
> snd-mixer-oss
> snd-ac97-codec
> snd-pcm
> snd-seq-oss
> snd-hwdep
> snd-util-mem
> snd-seq-midi-emul
> snd-seq-virmidi
> snd-seq-midi-event
> snd-seq
> snd-timersnd-emu10k1-synth
> snd-rawmidi
> snd-seq-device
> snd
> snd-page-alloc
> soundcore
>
> I had compiled alsa and nvidia from the debian source packages using the
> module-assistant.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Roy

Roy,

Thanks for the tip, the problem indeed is solved if I can modprobe
snd-emu10k1-synth

The only problem is that I have to be root to be able to do that, otherwise
this happens:

john@Marius:~/muziek/sheetmusic/soundfonts$ modprobe snd-emu10k1-synth
/lib/modules/2.4.27-1-686-smp/updates/alsa/snd-seq-virmidi.o: create_module:
Operation not permitted
/lib/modules/2.4.27-1-686-smp/updates/alsa/snd-seq-virmidi.o:
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-686-smp/updates/alsa/snd-seq-virmidi.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.27-1-686-smp/updates/alsa/snd-seq-virmidi.o: insmod
snd-emu10k1-synth failed
john@Marius:~/muziek/sheetmusic/soundfonts$

So I am one step closer to the solution, but not quite there yet..

Perhaps you or someone on this list will have a suggestion...

BTW I am using kernel 2.4.27-1-686-smp

John