Re: reboot hangs after "Deconfiguring network interfaces"

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:51:42AM -0500, John Harrold wrote:
> I've got a bunch of systems here running Debian/Sarge. Everything works
> fine until I try to reboot one of the machines. I do this by typing reboot
> as root or selecting the reboot option from gdm. The machine begins to
> shutdown services, but when it finishes deconfiguring the network
> interfaces it just hangs there. I let it sit for a few minutes and it still
> hangs there.
>
> Can anyone help me determin what is causing this?

Maybe you could change the #! line in the appropriate init.d scripts to
  !#/bin/bash -x

That way you'll probably be able to see where exactly it gets stuck.

(If it's already for example !#/bin/bash -e, change to !#/bin/bash -ex
 Note that you can only have a single argument on a !# line, so you have
 to stick the options together.)

If you change all your init.d scripts like this, booting and shutting
down will produce a fair bit more text than usual :)