Re: Linux friendly Mainboard, Video, and Sound Card Manufacturer?

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 02:47 am, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> Dear Group,
>
> I am planning on putting together my own system. I am excited
> about knowing exactly what everything is and having all the
> manuals for the first time!  It should be a great learning
> experience for me!
>
> I was wondering if there were any known manufacturers of
> Mainboards and Video, and Sound Cards who are known to develop
> their product with Linux in mind.
>
> Thanks,
> ---
> Scotty

Yes & No :) To be truly supportive of the way Linux ( the kernel) works
support for hardware drivers would have to be GPL, afaikt. However some
hardware works better than others with Linux, some doesn't work at all,
the hardware compatability howto(s) are a good place to start.

 http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO

My first thought is to buy the best supported/working main board,
everything else plugs into it, more or less.
--
Greg C. Madden