Re: Sorry, I meant: HowTo convert .wav to .mp3

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 07:49:15PM +0100, Maurits van Rees wrote:

> But the basic answer: package toolame converts wav to mp2, which is
> roughly the same as mp3. Package lame can convert wav to real mp3, but
> is in the non-free section. Due to patents any mp3 encoder (like lame)
> will probably never enter the free section.

Well, the latest MP3 patents appear to be from 1997, so the entire
thing should be moot in 2014.  Some patents date to the mid-1980s, so
an encoder could probably be included now if it had limited features.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading