Re: Not enough disk space to update

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:10:03PM -0600, msck9@mizzou.edu wrote:
> Dear all,
>  I want to update the system. I am using "synaptic package manager", and
>  choosing smart update. I need 600Mb space to download all the files,
>  but I don't have so much space under "/". I think all the download
>  files will be in the /var/cache/apt/archives which is under "/". I have
>  plenty of space under other partition. Is it possible that I can
>  download the files to other place? Or maybe you can give me some other
>  good choice to update the system.

You could try simlinking /var/cache/apt/archives to a directory on
another partition or if you have a completely spare partition, you could
mount it on /var/cache/apt/archives/

The latter method tends to work for me - I export my archives as an NFS
share and then mount it on other machines that I want to update without
downloading all the packages again. (I know there are better ways, but
this is simple and seems to work ok.)

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a