Re: Debian on an old PC

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2005 Jan 06 16:21 -0600]:

> If *text* editing is really the most important thing, then why not
> stay in console mode?  vim or joe should fit the bill.

Ugggh!  The surest way to send someone running back to Windows is dump
vi(m) on them.  Emacs isn't much better.  I don't mean to start another
editor flame war, but folks, we have to ease the transition of those
wanting to come over to our favorite OS by guiding them to tools they
can feel familiar with.

I may have not have jumped the MS ship seven years ago had I not found
FTE.  It probably lacks many of the features that make vi(m) and Emacs
popular with many, but after all these years it is still my favorite
editor.  I wish it's user base were a bit larger so it would receive
some active development.  The nice thing for me is that I have a text
editor that uses keystrokes and actions common to OOo and many apps on
Windows (which I use at work).

I'm not a coder so I probably don't demand as much from an editor as
many on this list.  I think FTE is a good choice for newcomers to a
Linux as it has both console and X11 packages.  If most Windows users
were familiar with edlin, I'd be less vocal about dumping them into
vi(m).  I realize familiarity with vi is necessary at times, but for
the most part, users like family members aren't going to deal with that
situation as we'll be their sys-admin.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of