Re: How To install ALSA (and uninstall OSS??)

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:50:11 +0100, Christopher Black wrote:
> Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
>> I've had problems finding a method of uninstalling OSS and installing ALSA
>> withj google that works. Does anyone have a good manualpage etc. on how to
>> do this??

We really should have a chapter in the Debian Reference about this.

> Compile your kernel with ALSA support, apt-get install alsa-base and
> alsa-oss and you're pretty much good to go. If you're using one of the
> Debian kernels you can probably simply install alsa-base and alsa-oss.

Note that Debian 2.6 kernel-image packages include ALSA drivers in the
form of modules.

Only 2.6 kernels have integrated ALSA drivers.  For 2.4 kernels you have
to build and install a separate alsa-modules package.  (The package is
actually named something like 'alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-686'.)  (You can also
build alsa-modules packages for 2.6 kernels if you want drivers that are
more current than the ones that have made it into the kernel sources.)

You only need alsa-oss if you are going to use the aoss program.  See the
long description of the alsa-oss package for more information.

Once you have installed alsa-modules*, alsa-base and alsa-utils you
will probably want to reconfigure some or all of your sound applications
to use ALSA rather than OSS.  (This is optional because ALSA can emulate
OSS.)  If you use GNOME, for example, then you may want to make esd talk
to ALSA devices rather than to OSS devices; do this by installing
libesd-alsa0 in place of libesd0.  Applications such as xmms that run in a
GNOME environment are normally configured to send their output to esd and
won't have to be reconfigured.

--
Thomas Hood