Re: xcdroast

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:15:06 -0800, gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca <gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 08:58:30AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > I was able to get the scsi emulation turned back on easily enough.  And
> > it did burn one CD, the one I needed.  But now I need to access the
> > stupid thing and I have no idea which device it really is.
> > sr1 (according to dmesg) isn't it
> > hdc isn't it
> > sg0 isn't it
> > sg1 isn't it
> >

> On my system, using scsi emulation on a woody system with a 2.4.18 kernel,
> it's /dev/sg0 to burn, /dev/scd0 to mount and read.  Don't really understand
>  the ins and outs of scsi emulation.  Just got that from a howto.

With the 2.6.x kernels (don't recall which version) the SCSI emulation
for CD writing was deprecated in favor of direct ATA command (someone
correct me if i'm wrong).

Now add to this a security issue corrected with kernel 2.6.8 (non root
user could overwrite the CD firmware) and cdrecord upstream developer
attitude, you have a pretty messy situation.

My suggestion is, with the latest Debian cdrecord version and a 2.6.8
or greater kernel, to disable scsi-emulation and manually configure
the device of Xcdroast with the "standard" ide device name (something
like /dev/hdX) or using the cdrecord naming scheme but after running
"cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus" (Xcdroast seems to choose automatically
the ATAPI transport instead of ATA)...

Instead, if you're running Gnome with the udev/hal stuff and
gnome-volume-manager you only need to put a blank CD in the driver and
Nautilus "CD/DVD Creator" window should appear, now you only need to
drag the files to be burned on that window and select from the file
menu "Write to CD"...

Andrea

P.S. with kernel 2.4.18 your only choice is to use the scsi-emulation,
but the parent was having problems with 2.6.8 =)