Re: switching X resolution modes?

Dear Michal,

I don't know if this is exactly what you want, but here's my idea. If
you are starting X with the "startx" command, there is a switch
available for color depth:

   startx -- -depth 16

So in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, you could define different resolutions
for different color depths. For example, depth 16 could be:

   Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"

and depth 15 could be:

   Modes "800x600" "640x480"

You could then write a one-line script

   alias startx='startx -- -depth15'

If your goal is for different users to have different resolutions, then
there is no need for a script. In each user's home directory, place a
file .xinitric with the above alias definitions. Of course, this only
works if you are booting up in text mode and starting X with startx. I
don't know if you can force this booting up in graphics mode. Perhaps by
modifying .xsession, but I don't know.

regards,
Robert