Re: apache reload v. apache restart

On Monday 01 November 2004 12:35, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Monday, 01.11.2004 at 20:28 +0800, Robert Vangel wrote:
>
> > I can't say that this has happened to me really.
> >
> > What do error logs give? Do you get any abnormal output from
logrotate?
> > Or, does it just die because it *seems* it wants to.
>
> Nothing abnormal in the logs.  There is the 'SIGUSR1 received.  Doing
> graceful restart' message when 'reload' is triggered, which appears
> whether the process dies or not ...

I have exactly the same problem.  I have to restart manually every week.

I also noticed that, used manually, 'invoke-rc.d apache reload' failed
to restart (just like the weekly failure).
But '/etc/init.d/apache reload' worked.  So I commented out the
invoke-rc.d part of /etc/logrotate.d/apache like this:
--------
        postrotate
           if [ -f /var/run/apache.pid ]; then \
#            if [ -x /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d ]; then \
#               invoke-rc.d apache reload > /dev/null; \
#            else \
                /etc/init.d/apache reload > /dev/null; \
#            fi; \
           fi;
--------
but that failed too.

I'll try with restart instead, and see how that fares.

--
richard