Re: [YA] SBLive 5.1 but no sound (ALSA)

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 23:46:48 -0600
Hamilcar Barca <rejnccw02@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:43:47 -0400, Chris Metzler wrote:
>>
>> Do me a favor -- pass along the output of lspci, [...]
>
> I've wrapped it.

		[ snip ]

> 0000:00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live!
>              EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
		[ snip ]
> 0000:00:0c.0 Class 0401: 1102:0002 (rev 0a)

OK, this shoots down my second idea.  One other common problem here is
that Dell markets and sells with their machines a card they call a
Soundblaster Live, and that identifies itself superficially as an
SBLive.  But it's not really one, isn't compatible with the normal
SBLive cards, and isn't supported under Linux at all (by either OSS
or ALSA) except with a proprietary OSS driver from 4Front that costs
money.  That's a really common reason people fail to get SBLive
cards working.  But, you don't have that problem.

Your ALSA modules list, from your earlier post, looks just fine.  So
sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you for a couple more pieces of
information.  First, I'd like to see what your machine says during
boot about the soundcard.  Unfortunately, you probably won't find
that info in /var/log/dmesg.  If you haven't already done so, go to
/etc/default, edit the file /etc/default/bootlogd, and give it a
line that says

BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes

This causes the non-kernel stuff that runs during the boot process
(the scripts in /etc/init.d) to *also* be logged (into /var/log/boot).
Then, after booting, go through the boot messages in /var/log/dmesg
and /var/log/boot and send along whatever it says about your soundcard,
soundcard drivers, etc.

Second, you said that "play" didn't work.  But can you elaborate?
Does it say *anything*?  Any error message or anything like that?
What happens if you take some .wav file and use cat to send it
directly to /dev/dsp, e.g. "cat foo.wav > /dev/dsp"?  Do you hear
anything then?

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)