Re: slow cd burning

Rodney D. Myers wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 17:53:12 -0400
Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> wrote:

Christian Christmann wrote:
Hi,

on my Debian box I'm running the kernel 2.6.6.
I've read somewhere that the kernel 2.6 doesn't need
the SCSI-emulation for IDE-burner anymore and thus
I disabled this option while compiling the kernel.

Now burning CDs is running very slowly. Even if I tell
Xcdroast to burn with 16x, the speed goes down to less
than 2x.

And ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Chris

I had a problem similar to that and also encountered
occasional lock ups.  The solution was to DISABLE
DMA on my CD burner.  Not sure what the issue is, but
that was the solution.

-Roberto Sanchez

Don't know that I have or had DMA tuend on, but I point k3b & XCDRoast
to my cdroms directly /dev/hdc & /dev/hdd, and I've had no problems in
the past few weeks, since debian came out with a 2.6.* kernel

you might try burning with cdrecord. on sarge with a 2.4.x kernel cdrecord works excellent if you tell cdrecord to burn with <dev="ATAPI:x,y,z" xyz you can, of course, find with
cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus

steef