Re: nv driver turns monitor off on X start

martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> [2004.06.05.1955 +0200]:
> > Try knoppix and see if it behaves differently.  If it works then
> > you have an A-B comparison available to try to determine what is
> > different.
>
> Unfortunately, Knoppix exhibits the same problem.

Darn.

Probably at this point your best bet would be the nvidia drivers from
nvidia.  I don't have good luck compiling against kernels not compiled
locally, I think because the compiler and libraries on my machine
don't match the ones used by original kernel maintainer.  Therefore my
best luck has been to make sure I have a kernel I can boot off of
compiled locally and then add the nvidia driver to it.

I would like to know the PCI identification of the card.  After that
is working I am curious how the driver identifies the card, the output
of cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0.

Here are some old notes on installing the nvidia driver.  They may be
of assistance.  Note that the names of the packages have changed now
so you will need to translate them to the latest names.  In particular
build 2880 is quite old now.  But the basics are the same.  The new
names are nvidia-kernel-common, nvidia-graphics-drivers and
nvidia-glx.  I am using 4496.  Build 5336 is now current.

If you are going to be installing offline then you will need to get
the NVIDIA_*tar.gz files from nVidia prior to doing the installation.

  cd /usr/src
  wget http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2880/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2880.tar.gz
  wget http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2880/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2880.tar.gz

Use the Debian source installer packages.

  cd /usr/src
  sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-src nvidia-glx-src
  sudo apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.20

Build the kernel modules

  cd /usr/src
  tar xzf nvidia-kernel-src.tar.gz # /usr/src/modules/...
  tar xjf kernel-source-2.4.20.tar.bz2
  cd kernel-source-2.4.20
  cp /boot/config-2.4.20-2-k7 .config
  make-kpkg clean
  fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -2-k7 modules_image
  cd /usr/src
  sudo dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-*.deb

 Build the graphics drivers

  cd /usr/src/nvidia-glx-1.0.2880
  fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
  cd /usr/src
  sudo dpkg -i nvidia-glx*.deb # two packages {,-dev}

Configure X for this driver

  ... edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ...
  Driver "nvidia"
  Option "UseFBDev" "true"
  Option "NoLogo" "true"

Remove from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 the following drivers.

  GLcore # OpenGL support (conflicts with nvidia)
  dri # Direct rendering infrastructure (conflicts with nvidia)

Leave only these modules in the list.

  dbe # Double-buffering
  extmod # Misc. required extensions
  glx # OpenGL X protocol interface