Re: Man not presenting the "-" character properly - charmap issue??

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:00:42AM IST, Peter Sebastian Masny
<ps-list@masny.dk> incoherently babbled:

> Hi all,
>
> Many of my man pages have problems with the character "-".  Sometimes the
> character is shown correctly.  Other times I get a box or more.  I use UTF8
> on my sid system.
>
> $locale charmap
> UTF-8
>
> For example, "map cp":
> >        cp - copy files and directories
> >
> > SYNOPSIS
> >        cp [OPTION]... SOURCE DEST
> >        cp [OPTION]... SOURCE... DIRECTORY
> >        cp [OPTION]... �[24m�[24mtarget�[24mdirectory=DIRECTORY SOURCE...
>
> The dash in front of "copy files and directories" is OK, but not the later
> ones.
>
> Any idea what gives?

What enviromental variables have you set? The output of "locale" without
any parameters will tell you.

Personally, I set $LANG and $LC_CTYPE to UTF-8 and $LC_MESASAGES to C
using:

export LC_MESSAGES=C

I suspect it will solve your problem too.

--

Conall O'Brien

+353 (0)87 9194139 | http://www.conall.net

GPG Key: http://www.conall.net/gpg/

The marvels of today's modern technology include the development of a
soda can, when discarded will last forever ... and a $7,000 car which
when properly cared for will rust out in two or three years.