Answers needed for these Debian questions

Hi List!
I have limited-time net connection and not very high speed one at
that. So, am putting all my questions in one or two messages and sending.
I hope this won't irritate others and also hope I'll get quite a few
replies when I check next, in 24 hours or so. Sorry for putting all these
in one message.

   What is the best way to backup on linux, with a 250M zip drive? I have
   tried many backup programs but I wish to have something semi-automatic
   kind of thing. I have used ibackup, bu (script), kbackup, floppybackup,
   and few others but am not satisfied with them. What I need is something
   that would regularly (thru cron or anacron or something else), compress
   the dir in to a zip file, optionally encrypt it, copy it on to a zip
   disk and then log on to a webdav or ftp server and transfer this file
   automatically there? What is the best way to have this kind of backup
   done?

   I'm subscribed to lots of mailing lists. I use mutt for email. Now
   using emacs, I use mutt within emacs since I use IMAP and find it hard
   to use gnus (which kinda behaves like pine, being news-oriented). I
   archive some mailing lists and have some mailboxes, going nearly over
   40MBs or more. Now loading mutt within emacs and loading such a big
   mailbox, loads okay but makes mutt slow under emacs. What is the best
   way to use such big mailboxes? I do not like to convert to maildirs,
   I'm using mbox format.

   How to set wget so that it can retrieve/download a list of files given
   to it, as soon as the ppp connection starts?

   How to set aptitude to download and install packages that were
   previously given, at start of a ppp connection?

   How to send offline email? I don't think there is any option to store
   more than one email offline under mutt, pine or any other console
   mail-reader. If there is such a mail-reader, plese let me know. I mean
   how to set postfix/exim4 so that it accepts email and stores them and
   as soon as a ppp connection is detected, it connects to a smarthost and
   sends off all the email?

   Similarly, is there an offline news sender program? I use slrn at the
   moment but am thinking of switching to leafnode, only problem is that I
   will send and get news a little late ... the next time I log on to the
   net, and that means waiting atleast for a day or more, if the net
   connection at my isp's side has some problems.

   What can be done if/when apt-get/aptitude/dpkg are unable to either
   install nor uninstall a package and that package is in broken state and
   unless that package is properly installed or removed, no other packages
   can be installed? This happened once and the author of the package
   replied me here on this list. But now it happened with a few other
   packages too. What can be done in this case? More than 4 packages are
   in broken state, not able to install nor removable, so what can I do
   with this state of apt? I *need* to install some other packages and I
   am *stuck*.