Re: Stable vs. Testing Vs. Unstable

"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> writes:

> Incoming from Loren M. Lang:
> > I'm curious about how many people are actually using Debian Unstable or
> > Testing to Stable for normal desktop use or even a production server.
>
> I've never felt any need for anything but stable.

Have you ever owned a video card that's under four years old.  I need
the hardware support of newer releases.  Nearly 2 years ago I had to
load sid in order to support my radeon 8500.  That card was long in
the tooth then and hardly newer today.  I notice that stable still
doesn't support it.

> I've never been one to think newer is necessarily better.  I update
> for security or stability.  I've no need for the bleeding edge.
> Every upgrade comes with its own brand new set of bugs, so why not
> stick with the ones you've got if you can?

If you can.  Some people like to buy reasonably modern hardware for
all sorts of reasons.

--
Johan KULLSTAM