Re: Stable vs. Testing Vs. Unstable

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:29:15PM -0700, Loren M. Lang wrote:

> I'm curious about how many people are actually using Debian Unstable or
> Testing to Stable for normal desktop use or even a production server.
> I've being using Gentoo lately, and I love how nice the newer software
> is like KDE 3.2.1 or Gnome 2.4 and I don't want to go back to Gnome 1.x
> just because I want a "stable" debian system, where gentoo seems to run
> fine with the latest.

I run unstable and do aptitude upgrades every day on all three of my
home systems (server, firewall, desktop). Systems I manage for my work
generally run stable (except for a couple of desktop systems that run
unstable and get upgraded once a week).

I've never run into any significant problems that left my system in an
completely unusable state, although I am careful to run apt-listbugs
before my upgrades. I also know how to downgrade stuff from
snapshot.debian.net, and have done so on many occasions when an update
from unstable has broken something.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA

Dave is currently listening to Rheostatics - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (Melville)