Re: configuring netwerk in knoppix

Joris Huizer wrote:

I now am forced to use this computer of my dad but it only has windows xp and I really am getting *ver* annoyed by it allready! I need compilers and stuff because I'm a informatica student but nothing is available and cygwin sucks

So I tried knoppix, and, appart from not being able to write to the screen during loading/shutting down, it worked - everything except for the netwerk. I don't know anything about the netwerk card - but it uses the modem I normally use so the only problem it can be is the netwerk card. I tried pppoe in knoppix but no luck

(Strictly speaking, this is a Knoppix issue, not a Debian issue, so really should be addressed to a Knoppix list, but here goes . . . .)

The system appears to be finding the NIC and seeing the network.

8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xcf4b5000, 00:0c:76:14:6b:fc, IRQ 18
eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.

What do you mean when you say the network is not working? Can you ping the local interface (ping localhost)? Can you ping other computers in your immediate area by IP address? By name? What's the result of "ifconfig -a"?

I'm confused; you talk about "the netwerk card" and "the modem" in the same breath. That's sort of like saying "the car's not running because the motorcycle's out of gas". Perhaps you're referring to a cable/dsl modem (after all, you mention pppoe), but you haven't give enough information.

If you're plugged into a DSL modem using a USB cable, don't even get me started. Networks should be connected via ethernet cable, not via some lame USB connection.

Are you connected to a switch/router?

More info needed.

--
Kent